Application and Registration
Whether you are applying to the full-time, part-time, or online format of the ESL Teacher Certificate Program, please ensure you meet the following admission requirements, and that you include the documents specified in your application package.
In order to apply to the ESL Teacher Certificate Program, applicants must have:
1. Completed grade 12.
2. Successfully completed a minimum of 45 credit hours of university education (or with special permission by Program Director) A completed undergraduate degree is preferred.
Individuals who do not have a completed undergraduate degree are still encouraged to apply. Individuals without a degree will not be eligible to apply for TESL Canada's certificate upon graduation. However, The University of Winnipeg ESL Teacher Certificate and transcript will be issued to all graduates.
3. Trainees who are non-native speakers of English must prove proficiency in English by submitting official documentation for one of the following English proficiency tests before they commence the program:
- TOEFL Computer based 213 / Paper based 550 and TWE 5 (5.5 is recommended) and TSE 55 (60 is recommended)
- TOEFL iBT 80 overall with a minimum score of 20 in each area
- IELTS 6.5 overall
- MELAB 85 / with a speaking test score 4
- CanTEST: Listening, Reading, Writing 5; Speaking 4.5
- CAEL Band 60 overall, with a min. of 60 in each of the writing and speaking subtests
- High school graduation from a high school in Canada, including minimum English Grade 12 score of 70%
- Completion of an undergraduate degree from an English-speaking university
- Common European Framework: C1
- *If an applicant has CLB 8 in every skill, they may be eligible to take this program, conditional on (1) meeting with the coordinator, and (2) review of application essay.
Required Documents for Application:
When applying to the ESL Teacher Certificate Program, please include the following documents in your application package:
1. Completed application form.
2. Completed registration form for online and part-time applicants.
NOTE: If you are a returning student, you only need to complete the registration form for the upcoming session.
3. $100 application fee (Non-refundable)
4. A one-page essay on the following: What experiences/education have you had that make you want to pursue this certification? What do you hope to do after completing this program?
5. Official transcripts from post-secondary institution.
Note: We do not require a transcript from current or past University of Winnipeg students.
6. For non-native speakers of English, official documentation that the language requirement has been met (see requirements above).
7. An academic or professional reference letter.
This should speak to your characteristics that would allow you to be successful both in this intensive program, as well as in this profession.
Please send your completed application package to:
ESL Teacher Certificate Program
The University of Winnipeg
515 Portage Ave.
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3B 2E9
Alternatively, drop your application off in person at the registration office:
Sherry Xie- ESL Teacher Certificate Program Assistant
Unit 5, 471 Portage Ave, Main Floor